If you believe that someone may be at risk of immediate harm to themselves or to someone else,
call 999 immediately, in all other cases, contact:
Jenny or Phil Coundley
Parish Safeguarding Reps
01489 579 078
If your concern is about a senior church leader, contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Team on
02392 899677 or 07544 566850.
When dealing with a child, a young person or a vulnerable adult:
- Treat them with the dignity and respect we all deserve. Listen well and make them feel welcome and valued
- Avoid being alone with them in an isolated place, for their safety and yours
- If they ask to be alone with you (for example, to discuss or pray about a concern):
- Offer to find someone else to help you so that you can talk or pray as a small group
- Ask someone of the opposite sex to help if at all possible and stay in a public space
- If you think they might need ongoing pastoral support, offer to help them contact the pastoral team through the church office
If you have concern about a child, a young person or a vulnerable adult:
- Talk to the Parish Safeguarding Representative or the Vicar for immediate advice
- Write down dates, times, facts and observations and keep your notes safe. Use the ‘Cause for Concern’ form (available in main entrance lobby of the church) to prompt you
If a child, young person or vulnerable adult discloses abuse to you:
- Listen carefully and react calmly
- Avoid making judgements or comments
- Tell them what you are doing to do
- Write down dates, times, facts and observations and keep your notes safe
- Talk to the Parish Safeguarding Representative or the Vicar for immediate advise
- Promise to keep it a secret or confidential. Tell them you may need to share information with other trusted people
- Try to investigate the disclosure or talk to the accused person yourself
- Discuss the disclosure with others
Safeguarding at St John’s
As a church, St John’s Locks Heath holds the Safeguarding of all Children and Vulnerable Adults as a top priority. The Vicar, Gavin Foster, and the Safeguarding Representatives, Jenny and Phil Coundley are always available via the Church Office for advice and guidance.
You can visit the Diocese of Portsmouth website for information about the national framework documents, information about training and safeguarding toolkits.
You can also download our Policies and annual Action Plan below.